Dr. Dominik Kocholl is an experienced Attorney-at-Law, Arbitrator, Author, Researcher and Lecturer with a demonstrated broad history of representing and advising clients and working at universities. Skilled in International Business Law, Sports Law with a special focus on football related matters and anti-doping issues, Arbitration, International Dispute Resolution, Contracts, Private International Law, Intellectual Property and Personality Rights.
He is a strong professional with a Dr. iur. (Ph.D. equivalent) focused on Comparative Private Law. Dominik has founded KOCHOLL LAW and regularly gets appointed as an Arbitrator at the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS/TAS – Lausanne). Up until December 2016 he held a position as Assistant Professor at the Institute for Civil Law, European Private Law, Private Comparative Law and Private International Law at the University of Innsbruck. There he was also Head of the Research Unit on Mountain Sports Law.
Dr. Kocholl routinely speaks at conferences and seminars and publishes books and articles. He got appointed for the Editorial Board of London based knowledge hub LawInSport in 2018 and is a specialist and legal expert for sport accident cases (personal injury etc) with extensive and unique experience in the context of Skiing, Mountaineering, Climbing, Avalanches, Expeditions and Yachting, Windsurfing, Kitesurfing and other water sports.
Swimmer, then Helmsman and Team Manager of 470 and 49er Olympic Sailing Team Kocholl/Kocholl (Austrian Sailing Team). He serves in the UIAA Legal Experts Working Group, the National Appeal Committee and Judicial Commissions and is a National Judge and Umpire, Alpinist, Climber, Mountain Guide and storm loving Windsurfer.
KOCHOLL LAW got founded in 2011. Dr. Dominik Kocholl – together with his lawfirm – advises clients from around the globe as their Attorney-at-Law. From 2007 – 2011 he trained as an Associate with prestigious law firms both in Vienna and Innsbruck – specializing in litigation and arbitration (Binder Grösswang, Baier Böhm, Prof. Hubertus Schumacher). Dr. Kocholl is the CEO of a consulting business dealing primarily with legal based risk management – named alprimo KG. In its beginning it was a spin-off of what Dr. Kocholl has started in2005 as Head of the Research Unit on Mountain Sports Law at the University of Innsbruck (3 third-party-funded projects).
Doctor iuris summa cum laude at the University of Innsbruck (PhD equivalent), Diploma in Legal Studies (University of Wales, Cardiff), Diploma from a Business School, St. Mary’s University San Antonio/Texas Summer School on World Legal Problems.
- Publications – more than 60: monograph, many contributions to books, articles on Private Law, Private Inter-national Law/Conflict of Laws, Arbitration, Dispute Resolution, Sports Law, foreign law and comparative law
- Teaching experience – about 50 lectures (University of Innsbruck, University of Wales/Cardiff etc;
- about 30 presentations at international conferences and seminars (regularly in Switzerland) etc
- Co-Editor of “Causa Sport“, a scientific journal on international sports law and economy founded in 2004, Boorberg, Dike, Jan Sramek, Zürich – www.causasport.ch (until 2017)
- Academic Projects (three competitive research grants) on Sports Law, Private International Law/Conflict of Laws, International Civil Procedure and Arbitration
- Scientific Board of “analyse:berg – jahrbuch” of the Österreichisches Kuratoriums für Alpine Sicherheit
- Editorial Board of London based knowledge hub LawInSport (since 2018)
Work as a Legal Expert Witness for Courts in England and Germany
So far Dominik Kocholl acted as an expert witness for Austrian Law and Austrian Soft Law for courts in Germany and courts in England and Wales. Further he has provided several legal opinions.
How we can help you
We offer all of our clients specialist legal expertise paired with extensive sector knowledge.
We are very happy to serve a wide spectrum of clients drafting or reviewing their contracts or assisting them with any disputes. Whenever disputes surface it is our aim to achieve dispute resolution quickly and efficiently and to minimise the impact of a dispute on your day-to-day operations. Where possible, we try to settle disputes without recourse to legal proceedings.
However, when battling it out is unavoidable, Dr. Dominik Kocholl will vigorously pursue the strategy set to achieve a successful outcome for you – either at a state court, in a dispute resolution chamber of an association or in front of an arbitral tribunal.
As your counsel, Dominik Kocholl not only represents you but gives clear, pragmatic advice which combines expert technical analysis with a sound understanding of our clients’ business problems and commercial objectives.
- Austrian Arbitration Association
- Association Suisse de Droit du Sport (ASDS) – Swiss Sports Law Association
- Deutsche Vereinigung für Sportrecht (DVSR) – German Sports Law Association
- Member of the Legal Experts Working Group of the International Climbing and Mountaineering Federation (UIAA)
- Tiroler Bergsportführerverband – Association of Professional Mountain Guides in Tyrol
- Tiroler Rechtsanwaltskammer – Austrian Bar Association
- Member of the exclusive list of arbitrators of the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS/TAS)
- Member of the exclusive list of arbitrators for doping matters and the general list of arbitrators of the German DIS-Sportschiedsgericht (and scheduled emergency arbitrator there)